All photographs on this blog were taken by me and are my copyright. Please don't download or copy them without my permission.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The last few days

Got out yesterday to do a little adventuring with a new friend. We had some sun (for the first time in about a week), and I had no school. It was wonderful.


As tempted as we all are to look down at the sidewalk (and here, it's an especially good idea because people don't clean up after their dogs), I've seen the most amazing buildings when I look up. The brickwork and the soot-stained house beside it were pretty neat. 


Cars here are itty bitty! Mostly because the streets are so small, but also because gas here is crazy expensive and smaller cars use less fuel. I haven't seen a single pickup truck. Even the vans are tiny!


I love this poor little car. The stars on the roof and mirror are adorable. Dents on doors are just something that happens when people park on the street. I see so many cars parked on the sidewalk, it's nuts. The girl reflected in the window is my new friend Bronwyn from Clark University in the States. 


Mmm, nougat cake. This one was gingerbread flavour, and didn't last long between the two of us. 


We also bought designer chocolate. Don't worry, we walked for about 4 hours to work off all the sugar. 


This is an adorable gazebo at the Place Wilson. 


This is a gateway from Place Wilson to Place de la République. This will be stunning in spring. 


Someone's backyard. Awesome.


Place de la République. This is a monument to all those who died in WWI and WWII. The soldiers are looking up at Lady Peace. 


This photo turned out better than I had thought. This is the other side of the monument. The guy on the far left is kissing his family goodbye. 


This soldier represents the battle at La Marne, also called "the miracle of La Marne". It was a decisive victory against the Germans after a month of bloodshed during World War I. 


This fellow represents the Battle of Verdun (also WWI). The battle was technically a victory for the French against the Germans, but it was costly for both sides. 


You know what they say about statues with big feet...


Dijon is trying so hard to have spring! These persistent little flowers are everywhere. So cute!


So pretty. 


This is what we have instead of grass for the most part. There's so much moisture here that little plants are choking out the grass. 


Buds on trees. Spring is happening. 


A courtyard on our street. I walk past it every day, but yesterday I noticed it for the first time. Must have been the sunlight. 


Lava stones in a garden on my way home. Apparently there's a volcano not far from here, and a lot of gardens have volcanic rocks in them. 


Our garden beside the garage. It slopes steeply down to the main garden. In a few weeks, when things wake up here, I'll take some pictures from the garden. 


Coffee here is infuriatingly small. You may wonder, HOW SMALL IS IT?!?!


So small it makes my iPod look gigantic!! It takes 6-7 of these bad boys to wake me up in the morning. They're gone in 2 swallows. Grumble. In other news...


... I'm going to PARIS!!! The first weekend of April, right at the beginning of spring. I got my train tickets in the mail today. I'm so pumped. Here is my to-do list:


Cass has challenged me to do everything at once, and take a picture. Challenge accepted.

Frédéric and Mathilde have decided to try something new at the house: English Wednesdays. Every Wednesday night we'll speak English together. Frédéric is happy to have a chance to practice, but Mathilde is a little nervous. It's been 17 years since she's taken English in school, but I think it's cool that she's willing to try. So Wednesdays here are going to be supercool. I'm excited.

Big shoutouts today to my Cash Suite homies at ATB Financial. I love your emails and Facebook chats!
To Angela: CONGRATS!!! I love you oodles, and am so happy for you! Much love.
Jason: Not a day goes by that I don't think about you. Feel better. I love you more than songs can say.

Frédéric and Mathilde are away from Thursday to Sunday, so I'm all by me lonesome for the weekend. Saturday is a day trip to Lyon, so I have to get all my homework done before I can enjoy my weekend. It's almost bed time, so I'll sign off for now.

À bientôt!

3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful there. Those little flowers look like Primrose (a perennial), I had some in my garden in my last house. Gord loved the VW and figures it is a 1974 or 75. Those chocolates look better than Callebaut. Have fun this week. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I'm quite jealous, I love the posts Mandy, they are awesome.....I wish that we could all be there with you to experience it together. It's hard to believe that it's already been a month, before you know it you'll be on your way back! I know that this is an amazing experience and Kim and I look forward to getting together for stories, pictures and good times. Talk to you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mandy, thanks for keeping us in the loop and sharing, we can all live vicariously throug your blog. Keep smiling. Talk to you soon girl !!!

    ReplyDelete