All photographs on this blog were taken by me and are my copyright. Please don't download or copy them without my permission.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Last Dijon Days

Well, here we are.

My wonderful stay in this gorgeous city finally had to come to an end. Before I left, I took Frédéric and Mathilde out for a wonderful meal at La Dame d'Aquitaine, a super-fancy restaurant. We ate, drank, and were merry before I had to head home.


What an incredible spread! The restaurant was gorgeous, and we were really lucky to get in without a reservation. It was a magical night.


The "amuse-bouche", or appetizer, creamed asparagus with a cappuccino of cream on top. Mathilde didn't even know that green asparagus existed! Before I got to Dijon, I didn't know anything about white asparagus. All we ate in the house was white asparagus. Both are delicious. 


My entrée, or hors d'oeuvre. Escargots three ways. Clockwise from the left: escargots in a beef bourgignonne sauce with onions and bacon, baked breaded balls with escargots and garlic butter, and escargots out of their shells with gutter, garlic, and parsley. Absolutely divine. 


Frédéric's entrée. Foie gras with cherry jelly. It tasted fantastic! Now I can say I tried it. And I loved it!


The three of us at our table. The night was totally perfect in every way!


I couldn't get over the room. It was built between the 13th and 14th centuries, and is underground. The lighting was so great, though, that it felt like we were outside in the middle of the day. 


This blew my mind. Silver covers over our meals? Wow! Before the waiter took the covers off, he introduced our meals. Our dinner was such a production! And so tasty. 


My dinner. Roasted duck with fig sauce and apples. I'm drooling just writing about it!


A going-away gift from Frédéric and Mathilde. A tiny 4GB USB key full of french music! Mathilde loaded it up with over 25 CDs! What a thoughtful gift. Merci beaucoup!


This is what Frédéric had for dinner. Some of the biggest scallops I've ever seen, with roasted veggies and mussels. He shared with Mathilde and I, who ordered the same meal. Delicious. 


Wow, did we ever look fabulous! 


Dessert. Crème brulée with Burgundian beer sauce on top. And I thought the night couldn't get any better. I was so wrong! This was delicious. 


All three of us marvelled at the décor of the room. It was so elegant! We had a wonderful time. 


This was so cool! We took one of the little white things on the left and put it in the dish on the right, added water, and the little white thing expanded and grew into a napkin! There was lemon essence in the water, so the napkins were lightly scented! A fantastic end to an incredible evening. 


Thursday was my last full day in Dijon. I spent the morning with Katty and Christine, trying to escape the rain and eating Kebaps. Before we parted ways, they gave me a cookbook full of recipes from all of the castles in the Burgundy region. I miss you so much, girls! 


My last, soggy, day in Dijon. Even with the rain and chill, I miss it so much! 

I left Friday morning at 6:30 to begin my long journey home. I travelled over 24 hours in total before I got to fall asleep in my warm, comfy bed. Thanks to everyone who came to meet me at the airport in Calgary! It was great to see so many familiar faces after such a long, difficult voyage. You really made my day. 

Thanks too, to everyone who has been following all my adventures on here. All your messages and well-wishing really made my time away easier. I'm very happy to be home, but I miss Dijon terribly. Today I go back to work, re-establishing a routine in Lethbridge. Hopefully that'll help me keep my mind off how much I wish I was still in France. I can't wait to see everyone here again. Let's start making plans to hang out! I'll try to post a couple more entries on here, but my adventure, sadly, has come to an end. Time to start a new chapter in my life. 

Thanks again, everyone, for your support and love. 

À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment